Monday, May 31, 2010

O2 Housing/Downpipe

So I was graciously given an ATP O2 housing down pipe. This is one part I did not make. The difference between this down pipe compared to the normal down pipe is that this one attaches to the turbo housing, while other ones attach after the O2 housing. The one I received has pluming specifically for the waste gate which is to prevent turbulence to the exhaust flow.

A couple of pics on the O2 housing down pipe.


This is no easy install, took me a total of 5 hours. When first installing the down pipe I had an exhaust leak coming from the band clamp for the waste gate, I removed the band clamp around making sure it is fully wrapped around and had re torque the band clamp. I am also trying to reuse all of the heat shield components, but noticed that some of the threads that hold the heat shield were on the O2 hosing. Because the bolts can not all be installed to hold the shield it is causing a rattling noise, which can be heard inside the cabin. I am currently debating on keeping the heat shield on.

Although the install was a pain, the down pipe does fit in nicely. Power difference is very noticeable, boost comes on stronger, and there is a slight increase in exhaust noise. By the way I must note that I am still running the stock catalytic converter. I am trying to really strive in keep pollution to a minimum. The factory catalytic converter does have a higher load of precious metals compared to any aftermarket catalytic converter and should be able to handle the additional of horsepower which can and will increase the rate of HC, CO and NOx. Maybe especially on NOx you may see a increase since its endothermic due to the increase of boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment