Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Upper Intercooler Pipe

So the Upper Inter Cooler Pipe (UICP) is a part I wanted to make right when I bought my car. Its fairly simple there is already after market replacement parts readily available. If you don't know what the UICP is here is a picture of it.

The reason why people like to change this particular part is that the rubber pieces would expand like a balloon under boost by changing them to hard pipes throttle response is allot crisper and smoother power response and is known for power gains also.

I must confess to something, when I bought the car I did buy an aftermarket UICP from a manufacturer that allot people seemed to buy from on the evoxforums, the fit was very good, it came w/ nice t-bolt clamps and all the hardware to install. The problem I found was that the gauge of aluminum used to make this pipe was pretty thin and using t-bolt clamps on them you have to be careful and not over torque them otherwise you may end up have oval pipes. Also if you don't tighten them enough you can get boost leak fairly easy. There was such little room for error. Also what I thought was funny is that most aftermarket pieces for this UICP is that they redo a part that is already a hard pipe. To me it seems like a waste of money. Below I point out what I'm talking about.


So instead of redoing the hard pipe piece, I decided just to make the replacement pieces for the rubber parts.


Part started off from 2 pieces of aluminum 2.50" 45deg bends. Cut and bead rolled ends.


Pipe welded up and silicone hoses attached.

I have been asked what the sizes of the hoses are. The one to the left is 1.75" to 2.50" transition piece and the one to the right is a 2.50" straight connect.


Installation of the final work, but plans on getting it painted is soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment